What a great start we have had to this school year! I love greeting the children in the morning, seeing their smiles and chatting with them about their days. And it’s quite a sight to see many of them happily running into Umpleby! My hope is that this level of excitement and enthusiasm continues through to June, and each child finishes the school year loving school and learning even more than ever.
During the opening days, our division works on creating strong relationships among students and adults and creating a safe climate whereby every person is valued, respected, and known. This critical work takes several forms, ranging from informal activities to formal ones, from one-on-one interactions to large groups and everything in between.
And we’re always refining and trying new activities. For example, this year we are initiating a focus on personal stories through two new initiatives: “Humans of D-E” and “This is my School.” By taking the time to share personal stories, our community members—both students and adults–better understand one another. Kindness and empathy emanate outward when we connect with one another.
To view our first clip of a student responding to “This is My School” please see below.
Back to School Night Reminder & Details
I look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, September 19 for MS Back to School Night.
- Refreshments will be available in Schenck Lobby from 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM. * Please see note below about a brief information session at 6:00 PM for the Grade 8 Peru Spring Break 2018 D-E International trip.
- At 6:30, the formal presentations begin for all three grades in Schenck Auditorium.
- Seating will be by grade level, with the 6th grade parents on the left section as you enter, 7th grade parents in the right section, 8th grade parents in the center section.
- After the group presentations, each grade will have a staggered “travel” time to get to your HomeBase room in Umpleby.
- Knowing your child’s HomeBase teacher and assigned meeting room in Umpleby for the evening will help tremendously. Schedules for the latter part of the evening will be distributed in HomeBase.
- You will receive an electronic message from your child on Tuesday, reminding you about Back to School Night.
- Please arrive between 6:00-6:15 in Schenck.
Hug your child and Go Bulldogs!
*Note: Grade 8 parents/guardians interested in the Peru Spring Break 2018 trip with D-E International are invited to a 15 minute info. session at 6:00 PM, prior to MS Back to School Night, in Hajjar Auditorium. For more trip details in the interim, please click here!